There are many reasons why you should get to know your tuk tuk drivers here in Cambodia. We definitely have our favorite drivers and whenever possible try to go with them. Our new house has a tree on the street corner and lots of friendly drivers hang out there. I’m looking forward to getting to know them! Here are just a few reasons why:
- Tuk tuk drivers often have a great sense of humor. Trying to navigate in a new language can be frustrating but I’ve found the drivers laugh easily and are patient as I try to use new words. That goes a long way to making things easier!
- When running errands, it’s great to be with a driver I trust. That means I can often leave my bags in the tuk tuk when running in to one market or another. It’s rare to only need to go to one place to get everything you need here, even if it’s only a grocery run!
- Tuk tuk drivers know where to find everything! And at better prices. As we are in the process of setting up a new house, being able to ask questions really cuts down on the amount of time finding something. A lot of the best stores do not necessarily have a website. It’s all word of mouth.
- Same goes with the neighborhood. When we were looking for a house, we went with a driver we trusted who knew the good prices, safe areas to live in and which areas flooded.
- Several of our favorite drivers know where we live so it’s easy to call them and ask if they will pick us up or they know where to take us home at the end of the day. One less set of directions to memorize!
It’s certainly possible to get around town other ways — in an automobile or on a moto. But we’re so glad for the relationships we have built by getting to know our drivers. They have made exploring our new home city possible, and so much more fun besides!