The Lord is your keeper;
the Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all evil;
he will keep your life.
The Lord will keep
your going out and your coming in
from this time forth and forevermore.
We are less than a week away from departure, packing is complete, and we have raised 97% of our needed support! Just $150 /mo will complete our funding and let us go into the field entirely focused on the language learning and work ahead. If you would like to be part of filling that last need, sign up at www.emiworld.org/ebersole
We have been so fortunate to be able to spend the last few weeks with our families. While there have been a lot of details to arrange for Cambodia, we’ve also been able to spend some good quality time together — for which we’re very grateful.
Updates and Communication
One of the suggestions we’ve been given is to structure as much of our lives as possible toward jumping straight in to Cambodian culture. In our globalized world, it’s probably easier than ever to live like a American/Westerner/Expat regardless of wherever you physically are. At least in Phnom Penh, we could very well shop at western style grocery stores, buy western furniture, eat at burger restaurants, and spend our down time reading about life in the US on Facebook. I think the only time we’d feel the difference would be in transit from place to place.
Clearly, we don’t want to do that. And while most of those decisions don’t affect you all, this one will.
We’re going to take the month of October (roughly) off from updates.
Don’t worry, we’ll save all the best stories for when we get back. But we want to be very careful to be entirely present in our new neighborhood, new friendships, and new language.
- We arrive in Cambodia on October 6th.
- We have an apartment arranged, so we’ll be able to head straight there and start setting up life and our home in Phnom Penh.
- Formal language school starts in November. But since we’ll have so much time in between, we’re going to start working with some Khmer friends to get a head start!
Thank you for your prayers! We have seen so many answered this past month, from our support raising and apartment to Geordi’s travel arrangements.
- Laura’s Lyme treatment seems to be making headway — but it’s still a long road ahead. We appreciate your prayers in this more than anything!
- Please pray for smooth travel and a quick recovery from jet lag — especially for Geordi.
- Please pray for the relationships we’ll be forming, especially with the Khmer.
- Please pray for our teammates as they bring us up to speed on top of all their own regular schedules.
- Please pray for us to find a Cambodian national and an architect to join our office launch team.
Finally, here is the EMI prayer calendar for October. This will walk you through a quick prayer for each day related to what EMI is doing that day around the world! Click on each image for a larger version.
That’s all folks! See you in November!